Participant Information – Shaker Side Table with Kelly Mehler1
Shaker Side Table with Kelly Mehler
Kelly will contact participants early Winter with more information on the materials for the table. Kits will be available from the school for $215 in cherry/mahogany/maple or $260 in walnut. A cut list will be posted here and sent to students. No hardware is needed for this project. We will have an easy lesson on turning the two wood drawer pulls at the school.
- If you need recommendations for any tools to buy or borrow, please feel free to give me a call or send an e-mail and I’ll be happy to help you find a tool that fits your needs and your budget.
- Dovetail saw – You can use a Japanese or Western dovetail saw I personally prefer Western saws but have used Japanese saws for years. For a Japanese saw a Dozuki (a Japanese backsaw) works well for joinery. The Dozuki “Z” saw #12F27 is about $40. For a Western dovetail saw I prefer quality dovetail saws such as Lie-Nielsen, Adria, Gramercy and Wenzloff & Sons etc.
- Handplanes – If you have them bring any bench and block plane that you use. A shoulder plane will be handy.
- Cutting gauge…cuts across the grain – I personally use the Tite-Mark gauge, but there are other good and less expensive ones such as the wheel guage sold by Lee Valley
- Dovetail marking gauge or sliding bevel – I like the Lee Valley Saddle Dovetail Markers best – the “pair” 1:6 & 1:8 is the best deal
- 2” to 3” steel square – handy
- 6″ rule
- Combination Squares – 12″ and/or 6″
- Tape measure (shorter is better)
- Dead blow hammer (14 to 20 oz.) – Not a rubber mallet
- A mallet for striking chisels
- Chisels – bring what you have, sharpened if possible
- Sharpening – if you have your own stones feel free to bring them otherwise we have a school set on hand – typically a #1000 and #8000 or equivalent are plenty
- Safety equipment: safety glasses, dust mask, hearing protection
I will have a variety of extra tools on hand for you to use and try so it is not necessary to buy what you don’t have – unless you want to.
Lie-Nielsen Toolworks extends a 10% discount to our students, please contact them for more details.
A fully catered lunch is served every day and drinks and snacks are provided all day. Please let us know in advance of any special dietary needs. It is a good idea to make your lodging reservations well in advance.
Call or email me with any questions on tools, materials or design and please check the web site for any updates.
www.kellymehler.com | Kelly Mehler (859) 986-5540 | firstname.lastname@example.org